Pleasure for some people, hobbie for others, dream to fight for several people, used even as a de-stressing method… you do not need to be a professional singer to enjoy all the benefits of releasing your own voice and singing. Anywhere, anytime.
A song or several, hum or sing aloud, a couple of minutes or for hours… Do you wonder about the benefits of singing?
- Improves mood. Singing helps to secrete endorphins in the body that, in great quantity, produce positive and pleasant feelings and, therefore, improves the mood and well-being sense.
- Calm down and de-stress. Not only because of releasing endorphins but because singing shifts the focus of attention of daily worries that cause discomfort and anxiety, thus releasing tensions.
- Reinforcement of the immune system. Stress is one of the factors that damages the body’s defenses. Consequently, if the levels of stress decrease, as we pointed out before, the immune system is strengthened, by eradicating one of the variables that would damage it.
- It helps babies. Singing to babies in their crib can help them fall asleep faster and deeper and, in general, improve their mood. As we mentioned in previous lines, thanks to the endorphins that are segregated not only when singing but when listening.
- It is an aerobic exercise with all the improvements that it entails. When a person sings, oxygenation increases in the lungs and in the blood (more air is used than just talking or breathing) and, therefore, improves the general state of the organism.
- Breathing is optimized. Humans know how to breathe. And we have learned to breathe and speak at the same time in a synchronized way without difficulties. However, singing involves greater effort and oxygen, so it is necessary to regulate and adapt the processes of inspiration and exhalation of air.
- Improves body posture. Due to the use of the diaphragm when singing, located in the center of the torso, almost automatically the body straightens without being almost aware of it. Professional singers, on the other hand, control their body posture and correct placement of the diaphragm.
- It can improve an educational process. Many children and young people learned Spanish or other languages, more easily than in school and in a natural way, singing songs in languages other than English. Singing can also boost memory, for example by remembering lyrics and even singing the alphabet, multiplication tables…
- Singing alone can improve self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Singing in company act as an excellent group cohesion, you just have to think about the good and funny atmosphere in karaokes.
- Everyone can sing. Regardless of gender, age, physical condition, vocal abilities…
- The shape of a person’s skull determines the physiognomy and size of the throat / larynx, which is the cavity that acts as a sound box when singing and determines the sound that is emitted.
- Singing in a “right” way (with the correct tuning, rhythm, musicality …) in very few cases is a gift. In the vast majority of people is an apprehended capacity, not an innate one.
- Many people love to sing in the shower and it is because the normally smooth finish of the bathrooms walls (as closed spaces) act as a sound cavity that improves the sound quality and, therefore, sounds better.
- You can sing songs, hum, whisper melodies, sing mantras, sing om (more information in this post about Om), sing the lessons of the school to memorize them, raping, beatboxing, sing prayers…
- It could be said that since prehistory and the beginning of civilizations, research has discovered how dances, and songs, played an important role in the societies of the time.
And you … do you want to try?